Students: Ghaith Hattab
I've started my third year in PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). My advisor is Prof. Danijela Čabrić. I'm primarily interested in algorithm development and signal processing for wireless communication systems, including providing connectivity to massive IoT, network densification and massive MIMO for 5G networks, and dynamic spectrum access in cognitive radio networks.
For more details, you may visit my website at www.ghaithhattab.com.
- M.Sc., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Queen's University, Canada, April 2014
- B.Sc., Electrical Engineering, American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, June 2012
- UCLA Electrical Engineering Departmental Fellowship
- IEEE Kingston Section M.Sc. Research Excellence Award
- Queen’s University Graduate Award
- Recipient of the Presidential Cup awarded by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Al Qassimi
- Recipient of Ministry of Presidential Affairs (MOPA) Fellowship
Projects (at CORES)
Energy-efficient massive IoT communications over shared spectrum
- The objective is to enhance spectrum sharing over existing wireless networks to enable energy-efficient massive IoT communications, i.e., IoT applications that are enabled by connecting a large number of IoT devices to an Internet-enabled network.
Inter-tier interference mitigation for 5G networks
- The objective is to design interference mitigation algorithms and protocols to enable harmonious coexistance of macro and femto BSs.
Load balancing and user association for 5G networks
- The goal is to design low-complexity load-aware user association policies that are suitable for 5G networks. In particular, these policies should balance the load across BSs belonging to different tiers, e.g., femto and macro BSs.
For a complete list, please visit my website here.
- G. Hattab and D. Cabric, "Rate-based Cell Range Expansion for Downlink Massive MIMO Heterogeneous Networks," accepted to IEEE Wireless Commun. Letters, Nov. 2017.
- W. Ejaz, G. Hattab, T. Attia, M. Ibnkahla, F. Abdelkefi, and M. Siala, “Joint Quantization and Confidence-based Generalized Combining Scheme for Cooperative Spectrum Sensing," to appear in IEEE Systems Journal, Sept. 2016.
- W. Ejaz, G. Hattab, N. Cherif, M. Ibnkahla, F. Abdelkefi, and M. Siala, “Cooperative Spectrum Sensing with Heterogeneous Devices: Hard Combining versus Soft Combining," to appear in IEEE Systems Journal, June 2016.
- A. El-Mougy, M. Ibnkahla, G. Hattab and W. Ejaz, “Reconfigurable Wireless Networks," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol.103, no.7, pp.1125-1158, July 2015.
- G. Hattab and M. Ibnkahla, "Multi-band Spectrum Access: Great Promises for Future Cognitive Radio Networks", Proceedings of the IEEE, vol.102, no.3, pp.282-306, March 2014.
- G. Hattab and D. Cabric, "Long-term Rate-based User-centric Association for Downlink Multi-antenna HetNets", to appear in IEEE ICC'18, May 2018.
- G. Hattab, P. Moorut, E. Visotsky, M. Cudak, and A. Ghosh, "Interference Analysis of the Coexistence of 5G Cellular Networks with Satellite Earth Stations in 3.7-4.2GHz", to appear in IEEE ICC'18, May 2018.
- G. Hattab, E. Visotsky, M. Cudak, and A. Ghosh, "Coexistence of 5G mmWave Users with Incumbent Fixed Stations over 70 and 80 GHz", in IEEE GLOBECOM'17, Dec. 2017
- G. Hattab and D. Cabric, "Energy-Efficient Massive Cellular IoT Shared Spectrum Access via Mobile Data Aggregators", in IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob'17), Rome, Italy, Oct. 2017.
- F. Panahi, F. Panahi, G. Hattab, T. Ohtsuki, and D. Cabric, "Green Heterogeneous Networks via an Intelligent Power Control Strategy and D2D Communications", in the IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Oct. 2017.
- T. Vermeulen, M. Laghate, G. Hattab, D. Cabric, and S. Pollin, "Towards Instantaneous Collision and Interference Detection using In-Band Full Duplex", in IEEE INFOCOM, May 2017.
- T. Vermeulen, M. Laghate, G. Hattab, D. Cabric, and S. Pollin, "Nearly Instantaneous Collision and Interference Detection Using In-Band Full Duplex", in IEEE DySPAN, March 2017.
- G. Hattab and D. Cabric, "Joint Resource Allocation and User Association in Multi-Antenna Heterogeneous Networks", IEEE Globecom'16, Washington, DC, Dec. 2016.
- G. Hattab and D. Cabric, "Inter-tier Interference Mitigation in Multi-Antenna HetNets: A Resource Blanking Approach", IEEE Globecom'16, Washington, DC, Dec. 2016.
- G. Hattab and D. Cabric, "Coverage and Rate Maximization via User Association in Multi-antenna HetNets," submitted to IEEE Trans. on Wireless Commun. Dec. 2017.
Talks and Posters
- G. Hattab and Danijela Cabric, "Massive Cellular IoT Communications via Mobile Data Aggregators", UCLA Annual Research Review (ARR 2017), Apr. 2017.
- G. Hattab and Danijela Cabric, "Rate-biased User Association for Downlink Multi-antenna Heterogeneous Networks", UCLA Annual Research Review (ARR 2016), Feb. 2016.