Cognitive Reconfigurable Embedded Systems Lab
Han Yan was a MS/PhD student in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) from September 2013 to June 2020. While at UCLA, he worked at Cognitive Reconfigurable Embedded Systems (CORES) Lab under supervision of Prof. Danijela Cabric. During graduate school, he had a broad research interests in signal processing and communication system design for millimeter-wave mobile networks, cooperative unmanned aerial vehicles networks, and dynamic spectrum sharing radios.
His CV can be downloaded here [CV (2020.06)]
- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 2020
- Dissertation: Array Architectures and Physical Layer Design for Millimeter-Wave Communications Beyond 5G [PDF]
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 2015
- B.Eng. Communication Engineering and Information Science, Zhejiang University, P.R. China, 2013
Han has contributed in the following research projects during graduate studies:
- Millimeter-wave beamforming in next generation of cellular systems [Project Summary]
- Distributed MIMO communication using cooperative UAV swarms [Project Summary]
- DSP assisted RF impairment compensation in software defined radios [Project Summary]
- 2020 Outstanding PhD of ECE, UCLA
- 2019 Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship, Qualcomm
- 2018 Dissertation Year Fellowship, UCLA
Journals and Magazines
- H. Yan and D. Cabric, “Compressive initial access and beamforming training for millimeter-wave cellular systems,” in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Sept. 2019.
[Paper] [arXiv Preprint] [Simulation Code] [Digest1] [Digest2] [BibTeX]
- H. Yan, S. Ramesh, T. Gallagher, C. Ling, D. Cabric, “Performance, power, and area design trade-offs in millimeter-wave transmitter beamforming architectures,” in IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, Second Quarter, 2019
[Paper] [arXiv Preprint] [Simulation Code] [Digest1] [Digest2] [Digest3] [BibTeX]
Selected conference paper and presentation material. Expand to see full list.
- H. Yan, B. Domae, and D. Cabric, “mmRAPID: Machine learning assisted noncoherent compressive millimeter-wave beam alignment,” (best paper award) in Proc. the 4th ACM Workshop on Millimeter-Wave Networks and Sensing Systems (mmNets), Sept. 2020.
[Paper] [arXiv Preprint]
- H. Yan, V. Boljanovic, and D. Cabric, “Wideband millimeter-wave beam training with true-time-delay array architecture,” (invited paper) in Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Nov. 2019.
[Paper] [arXiv Preprint] [Slides] [BibTeX]
- H. Yan and D. Cabric, “DSP linearization for millimeter-wave all-digital receiver array with low-resolution ADCs,” (invited paper) in IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), 2019.
[Paper] [arXiv Preprint] [BibTeX]
- H. Yan, S. Hanna, K. Balke, R. Gupta, and D. Cabric, “Software defined radio implementation of carrier and timing synchronization for distributed arrays,” in IEEE Aerospace Conference (AeroConf), Mar. 2019.
[Paper] [arXiv Preprint] [Slides] [BibTeX]
- H. Yan, V. Boljanovic, D. Cabric, “Tracking sparse mmWave channel: performance analysis under intra-cluster angular spread,” (invited paper) in IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC). Jun. 2018
- H. Yan, S. Chaudhari, D. Cabric, “Wideband channel tracking for mmWave MIMO system with hybrid beamforming architecture,” (invited paper) in IEEE International Workshop on Computational Advances in Multi-Sensor Adaptive Processing (CAMSAP), Dec. 2017.
- H. Yan and D. Cabric, “Digital predistortion for hybrid precoding architecture in millimeter-wave massive MIMO systems,” in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Mar. 2017.
[Paper] [Slides] [BibTeX] [Simulation Code]
- H. Yan and D. Cabric, “Compressive sensing based initial beamforming training for massive MIMO millimeter-wave systems,” (IEEE travel grant) in IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), Dec. 2016.
- H. Yan and D. Cabric, “Digitally enhanced inter-modulation distortion compensation in wideband spectrum sensing,” Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Nov. 2016.
White Papers, Posters, and Academic Presentations
Academic white paper and presentations. Expand to see full list
- D. Cabric and H. Yan, “Millimeter-wave beam management for 5G-NR and beyond,” presented as tutorial in IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom), Dec. 2019.
Intern, Wireless Systems Engineer, Telefar Co., Los Angeles (Summer and Fall 2019)
- Worked as Facebook Connectivity contractor to develop millimeter-wave (mmW) channel sounder.
- Developed sounding and analysis tool to characterize interference in 60GHz mesh networks.
- Developed antenna weight vector design API for interference mitigation via analog beamforming.
Intern, Communication Systems, Maxlinear Inc., Carlsbad (Summer 2017)
- Analyzed and simulated throughput, power consumption and cost trade-off in three trending mmW transmitter array architectures.
Other Academic Activities
As graduate student researcher, Han has contributed in obtaining multiple research grants, where he conducted literature survey, research problems formulation, preliminary research, and participated in proposals writing.
|Q3 2019||NSF (NeTS)||[awarded]|
|Q2 2019||Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship||[awarded]|
|Q1 2019||NSF (ECCS regular)||[awarded]|
|Q2 2018||DARPA SRC JUMP||[awarded]|
|Q4 2016||NSF NeTS||[awarded]|
|Q2 2016||DARPA SBIR Phase I||[awarded]|
Han has been teaching assistant (2016-2019) and teaching associate (2019-2020) at UCLA for multiple courses, where he leads discussion sections and office hours, makes assignment, and helps instructor to prepare and grade projects and exams.
|Spring 2019||ECE 233 Wireless Communications||8.2 / 9.0|
|Winter 2017||EE 102 Signal and Systems||8.7 / 9.0|
|Fall 2016||EE 230A Detection and Estimation in Communication Systems||7.8 / 9.0|
|Winter 2016||EE 102 Signal and Systems||7.5 / 9.0|
The following table summarizes the conference and journal paper peer-review service (including service as volunteer, i.e., no credit)
|2020.05||IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing|
|2020.05||IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques|
|2020.04||IEEE Communication Letters|
|2020.04||2020 IEEE 92nd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Fall)||2 papers|
|2020.04||IEEE Wireless Communication Letters|
|2020.03||2020 IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC)||as volunteer|
|2020.02||IEEE Wireless Communication Letters|
|2020.01||IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing|
|2020.01||IEEE Transactions on Communications|
|2019.12||IEEE System Journal||Also reviewed R1 (2020.03)|
|2019.12||IEEE Wireless Communication Letters|
|2019.11||2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC)|
|2019.09||IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications||Also reviewed R1 (2020.02)|
|2019.08||IEEE Transactions on Communications|
|2019.07||IEEE System Journal|
|2019.06||IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications||2 papers (1 as volunteer)|
|2019.05||IEEE Wireless Communication Letters|
|2019.04||IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing||Also reviewed R1 (2020.02)|
|2019.03||2019 IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC)||3 papers (2 as volunteer)|
|2019.03||IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing||3 papers (2 as volunteer)|
|2019.02||IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing|
|2019.01||IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications|
|2018.12||2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP)||2 papers (2 as volunteer)|
|2018.11||IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing|
|2018.11||IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communication and Network|
|2018.11||IEEE System Journal|
|2018.07||IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing|
|2018.07||2018 ACM mmNet Workshop||as volunteer|
|2018.06||2018 IEEE International Symposium on Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DySPAN)|
|2018.05||IEEE Transaction on Cognitive Communication and Network|
|2018.05||IEEE System Journal|
|2018.04||IEEE Transactions on Communications||Also reviewed R1 (201806) and R2 (201808)|
|2018.02||2018 IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom)||2 papers (2 as volunteer)|
|2018.02||IEEE Communication Letters|
|2018.02||IEEE Wireless Communication Letters|
|2018.01||IEEE System Journal|
|2018.01||IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications||As volunteer|
|2017.12||IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology|
|2017.08||2017 IEEE IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PMIRC)|
|2017.07||2017 ACM Mobicom mmNet Workshop||as volunteer|
|2016.07||2016 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP)||3 papers (3 as volunteer)|
|2016.06||Hindawi EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking|
|2015.09||IEEE Transaction on Cognitive Communication and Network|
|2015.06||2015 IEEE International Symposium on Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks (DySPAN)||as volunteer|